Horse Riding Practicum
UConn's Department of Animal Science offers a self-improvement, non-credit, extracurricular horse-riding program entitled "Horse Practicum." The Practicum is open to all students enrolled at the University as well as faculty, staff and the community. Although priority for riding is given to Animal Science majors, all participants are welcome on a space available basis. Lessons are offered in Hunt Seat, Dressage, Trail, Drill, Polo* and Western at a variety of levels. The Riding teams are Equestrian, Dressage, Varsity Polo, and Western.
*Polo only open to UConn students, faculty and staff*
Fall 2022 Riding Practicum and Equine Teams
Fall 2022 Lesson Schedule
Dates and Fees:
Session 1: August 30 - September 9 (2 weeks) - $100 for 1 lesson per week, $200 for 2 lessons per week
Session 2: September 12 - December 9 (12 weeks) - $600 for 1 lesson per week, $1,200 for 2 lessons per week
* Riding Practicum is open to all riders 18 and over. Dates are subject to change based on University Guidelines. Space is limited and on a first come, first served basis. Lesson spaces are not guaranteed*
Registration and Payment Deadlines:
Session 1 Practicum Lesson/Session 1 Trail Test Deadline: EXTENDED to Friday, August 26 @5 PM
Team Tryout/Session 2 Trail Test Registration Deadline: Wednesday, September 7 @12 Noon
Session 2 Practicum Lesson/Team Lesson Deadline: Monday, September 12 @ 8 AM
Mandatory Fall Practicum Riding Meeting:
Thursday, September 8th, 2022 - 7:00 PM
Young Building, Room 100
*Those interested in riding lessons and teams must attend the Mandatory Meeting.*
PLEASE READ All INFORMATION BELOW CAREFULLY
OUR REGISTRATION PROCESS HAS CHANGED
Practicum Lesson Registration
1. Complete your lesson payment on Marketplace.
*Payment must be made first to reserve your lesson spot. If the lesson you are interested in is not visible in Marketplace, it is full. You can select another lesson or email email@example.com to join the waitlist for your lesson of choice.
2. Complete your digital Registration/Acknowledgement and Consent Form. *PLEASE COMPLETE ONE FORM PER SESSION PER RIDER (1&2)- You can select multiple lessons per session.*
*Complete after payment on Marketplace. Completion of the acknowledgement and consent form does not reserve your lesson spot. A rider's registration is complete only after payment and registration forms have been completed.*
*Community Riders please email a copy of your vaccination card along with your registration documents to: Alena Meacham firstname.lastname@example.org*
3. Review Documents Below
Trail RegistrationFor riders who HAVE recently ridden in lessons or trail at UConn
- Email email@example.com to inquire if there is space available and she will send the password for you to register.
- Complete your payment for the trail session on Marketplace.
- Complete your digital Registration/Acknowledgement and Consent Form. *PLEASE COMPLETE ONE FORM PER SESSION PER RIDER (1&2)*
- Email jenifer.nadeau@UConn.edu to schedule a trail test and receive a payment link for the test ($50).
- Complete your digital Registration/Acknowledgement and Consent Form.
- If you pass the trail test, a payment link will be emailed to you to pay for the session. Your registration form will automatically be updated to reflect your registration for the full session.
- If you do not pass the trail test, the rider can elect to enroll in a practicum lesson and follow the instructions above.
Equine Team Tryouts: UConn Students Only
Dressage Team Tryouts: Friday, September 9th - For Prospective New Members Only
Equestrian Team Tryouts: Saturday, September 10th - For both Prospective and Current Members
Western Team Tryouts: Sunday, September 11th - For Prospective New Members Only
Fee: $50 per tryout
1. Complete your tryout payment on Marketplace.
2. Complete your digital Registration/Acknowledgement and Consent Form.
3. Email the team coach for details related to tryouts
- Dressage Team: Melissa Tindall -firstname.lastname@example.org
- Equestrian Team: Stan Siniarski- email@example.com
- Varsity Polo: Andrew Gale - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Western Team: Jeremy Mimitz- email@example.com
4. Review Documents Below
5. Riders who have been accepted by a team will receive an email from the team coach with a link to pay the team riding fee. Your registration form will automatically be updated to reflect your registration for the team lesson.
6. Riders who do not make the team can enroll in practicum lessons following the instructions above.
Additional Information for all Riders
All students will be required to supply the following equipment: (1) a properly fitting ASTM/SEI approved riding helmet within 5 years of manufacturing date and (2) boots that have a heel with a rubber sole.
- Riders must be paid in full and registration forms completed by the deadlines listed above.
- Makeup lessons will not be offered.
- There are no refunds, however refunds will be considered on a case-by-case basis for extraordinary circumstances.
Height & Weight:
Our goal is to ensure a safe ride for all of our riders and horses. Horses are limited in how much weight they may carry. It is important to be as accurate as possible when submitting your height and weight so that an appropriate horse can be matched to each rider.
Each horse is restricted in the amount of weight it may carry. The weight restriction is based on several factors, but the most important is rider’s weight. Too much weight can cause rub-sores from the saddle, strained muscles, and pinched nerves. Permanent damage such as a "sway back" or deteriorated muscle function can also occur over time. It is important to be as accurate as possible when submitting your height and weight so that you can be matched with the appropriate horse. None of the horses currently available for horseback riding are capable of carrying a rider who weighs more than 225lbs. On any given day, it is possible that a horse will not be available for you to ride because of weight limitations (examples include: (1) the only horse capable of carrying a rider who weighs 200lbs is being monitored for injury and will not be available for riding for at least a week and (2) three riders, each weighing 185lbs, are scheduled for a riding program on the same day but only two horses are available to carry such weight.) In the event a horse is not available for you to ride on a particular day, we will try to provide you with advance notice and will provide a refund for each day a horse is unavailable for you to ride. For additional information regarding weight restrictions please contact: Alena Meacham firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Questions regarding forms, payments or webpage issues please email email@example.com
- Questions regarding registration please email firstname.lastname@example.org