Equine Dentistry

This page is to provide a starting point for those who are interested in pursuing this career path. 

*Note: UConn does not have a School of Equine Dentistry.*

Basic Q&A

Q: How does one become an Equine Dentist?

A: It varies by state, but in many states you must be at least a licensed technician with completed specialized coursework in equine dentistry. Visit the American Veterinary Medical Association website to read about what your state requires.

Q: Do I need a college degree to apply to a school of equine dentistry?

A:  It is not overtly stated that this is a requirement, but it may help you get accepted.  The equine dentistry schools are considered “secondary schooling” and ask that you have received education or training regarding horses and that you have had work experience with horses.

Q: Where can I go to learn more?

A:  International Association of Equine Dentistry

Equine Dentistry Schools:

  • The Academy of Equine Dentistry – Glenns Ferry, ID
  • Advanced Whole Horse Dentistry Learning Center – Thurman, NY
  • American School of Equine Dentistry – Purcellville, VA
  • College of Equine Dentistry – Gunnedah, New South Wales, Australia
  • Equine Gnathological Training Institute Inc. – King Hill, ID
  • Hartpury College – England
  • Midwest Equine Dental Academy – Winn, MI
  • New Zealand School of Equine Dentistry – New Zealand
  • Pequinox Equine Dentistry – Canada
  • Texas Institute of Equine Dentistry – Weatherford, TX